This blog is meant to help you and ease your mind.
Ask questions by commenting and I will answer your question in my next blog!

Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Live Above The Influence! ....of American Food Marketing



Here is my little vent for the evening....



I just discovered a TV show -Private Chefs of Beverly Hills (Food Network) As a private cook and student in culinary school, I was naturally excited to find something on television that I can relate to.  Just as I am empathizing Chef Sasha's anxiety, a commercial inevitably pops on...

What was the commercial, you ask? 
At first glance, I thought it was a spoof from SNL.  But as the commercial progressed, I realized the over-bronzed 'actress' was none other than my fellow NJ native, "Snookie," from The Jersey Shore. May I just say, yikes.  I understand marketing enough to realize why this company decided to hire a familiar face. That being said, I may not be buying Pistachios for a while, at least not until the commercial stops airing. An indecently dressed Snookie, cracking a pistachio open on a tanning bed does not seem to be a picture of health to me. I mean, call me crazy but- why intoxicate the picture of health commonly associated with a natural food?

To make matters worse....

 After the Seaside heights nut advertisement,( pun?)  I was subjected to a High Fructose Corn Syrup commercial. When will it end!!!??? I beg you... PLEASE do not give in to commercials that make wild claims. These companies are preying on vulnerability of you-the potential client. 


Exhibit A- High Fructose Corn Syrup- commercial paid for by the Corn Farmers of America. I am ALL about farms, especially when farms practice ethically and environmentally.  That being said, please be cautious. Corn is highly subsidized in the US and therefore is mass produced as a GMO 'franken food.' Be weary of your food.


 The combination of an interesting TV show shadowed briefly by these commercials is a shame. I will Tivo my new Chef-centric find and move on... But please, do yourself a favor and continue to choose foods that make you feel good. Advertisements for poor food choices are all around you. 
Above the Influence! 
 (haha I know I stole this from an anti-alcohol campaign, but hey, it is true!)



For more information on the future of HFCS:


Stay Well
xo

1 comment:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you!! What would I do without all your knowledge...(((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete